Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

November 16, 1917, From Orlo Woods

Camp Logan, Houston, Texas,
F. Co. 129 Infantry,
Nov. 16, 1917.

Dear Cousin Ruth;

I received yours and your mother's very nice letter this evening and a will right away. I have been going to S.S. and church quite a bit since I have been here.

I would [have] liked to have been the school teacher at your school when that bunch came out there to visit you. I would have had some fun out of it and put them in quite a bit of misery too.

You must be quite a big girl now. If you have a picture of yourself you might send it to me. I would send a picture of myself if I had any but I can't keep any on hand.

So far this month I have averaged more than a letter a day that is about all we have to do evenings unless we go up town.

I went up town last Tuesday night and saw Mary Pickford in the picture "The Little Princess," it was a very good show. Last night I went to a show and saw a picture it was "The Retreat of the Germans at Arras" it cost me eighty five cents for my seat. After the show I went to a Cafe and it cost me seventy five cents for my supper. It was a very nice supper though.

We took a nice long hike this morning. There is a big pine forest about two miles from camp. One regiment went out to capture it. I was in a right flank patrol. We didn't get to see the enemy. We left camp at 7:30 a.m. and . . . [The letter ends there. The last page is apparently missing.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home