Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

November 4, 1918, From Richard

Interlaken, Rolling Prairie,
Indiana, On November
Four, nineteen Eighteen.

Dear Esther:

I received your letter yesterday (Saturday) and was surely glad to hear from you once more. The post-office is a popular place with me, like all the other guys, and a fellow certainly likes to get letters. I live in the canteen building now with my old Company C. The place is a three-story and the canteen is in the portion of the lower story or rather basement. We are only about one hundred yards from the Post-Office and the same from the mess-hall.

What picture was that you showed Luella? The one you took. It must be fine. Any way all pictures taken of me are me and I should worry. "I'm in the Army now." Ha, ha! That annual business reminds me of old times gone never to return. I think that philosophy was written by the superintendent. I got a letter from mamma yesterday and she says Bland is in France now. I think he is in the heavy field artillery. Bland is only about a year older than I am.

There may be a few gentlemen here in camp but as a whole the fellows are a hard set. Nevertheless all are good in some way for something. I have found no desire to find any intimate friends among the men and my affection for Achleman and McCollum has not grown much. For one thing I am awfully busy here and another is that I can live happily alone if I so choose. It is easy for me to fit myself to any strange surroundings and put my whole self into any work that I have to do. Army life is none too easy, too.

I am in the M.T.C. (Motor Transport Corps) now, being chosen for the first class here organized. We will have to go through several months work in two weeks time, I guess and if we make good get a chance to go to another school at Purdue perhaps where we will be made into truck-masters or officers. It is hard I tell you.

I am on K.P. (Kitchen Police) today (Sunday) and have to report back at the mess-hall at 4:15 o'clock or in about fifteen minutes. I got off at about 2:30 and I had to help the baker. We made pies, cakes, jelly-rolls, and cream-puffs until about 2:00 P.M. Cakes and cream-puffs are for officers only. They get a little better than the men. Believe me, I am some baker. Ha, ha! This is my first experience in the Kitchen here, but one thing is good, I get some of all the extra good things to eat.

I suppose you start to school again in the morning. Wish you good luck and a good time. Write when you can. I shall be glad to hear from you.

Yours Truly,
Richard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home