Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

October 20, 1919, From Richard

"Purdue"
October 20, 1919

Dear Esther,

Perhaps I ought not indulge in such a free range of writing styles, but since it may prove interesting--let it go. Interest in things and in each other is what gives people an inspiration, and joy, and happy satisfaction; is it now? This might be a real interest or just an imaginary one. Anyway it is a good plan to find fun in one's own imagination, for does not the imagination furnish a great deal of amusement, and interesting things to think about? I know that imagination has caused you interest (?) already; and enabled you also to build your air castles. By the way, have any of them fallen lately? Or do they keep on growing and never topple over? It may be that they grow wings and fly away, like the demons that are supposed to be prevalent in such large numbers. Would you prefer to call some of them angels? Ha.

I must begin to answer your very nice little letter. First of all, I was very much pleased to get it. Next I was glad to hear that you had a date. I cannot enumerate all the exquisite joys I received from it. It was the only thing that I have had to break my monotonous loneliness since last Friday. You ask me why things attack you by surprise. I'm sure I can't tell you, unless it is because you don't see clearly, that is, use your eyes and profit greatly. Think, observe, (or vise verse) and apply things to your self to your great improvement and consequent satisfaction.

I had planned to take you by surprise last Friday or Saturday also; but failed. It will not do for me to give you warning or tell my plans, for then somebody is likely to be disappointed. See? So you just go ahead and have all the fun you can' leaving me to fare as well as the gods permit.

Surely, I was to S.S. yesterday and Epworth League also. and I was lonely; and sleepy too as a result.

Sincerely yours,
Richard

P.S. Chicago16, Purdue-0
Rinegl.

Postscript:
You know a letter is not complete without a P.S. attached? Am I right? Anyway I wished to state that I am glad you could receive my last letter as you did.

R.N.G.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home