Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

September 23, 1919, From Richard

5:30 P.M.
September 23, 1919

Dear Esther,

I guess you will have a rather hard time to catch up with your answers unless you wait and make a "two in one". I was quite relieved however to get your answer last. Really I do not want you to do me yet, as you were wondering. I have reformed somewhat and last Sunday evening I worked math [and] stayed snugly in bed. It even rained too much for me to go to church or Sunday School. You want to know what the fellow looked like. I guess I did not like his looks, even tho he was handsome. Dreams are not always specific. I have had peaceful slumber lately. Ha, ha!

You spoke of Piper City and that reminded me that I noticed a five-dollar bill the other day made to the First National Bank of Piper City, Ill. A remarkable coincidence, n'est-ce pas? I guess I'll have to get some candy out of it sometimes. So?

I got a letter from Alva today. He said the Linn girls surprised him to a very great extent. He also said that Clark came to Sunday School in "some boat" of a Ford, and that they lost both banners despite the fact that such things happened. I find it necessary to postpone my writing for awhile in order to eat. I do not see how you can live so well and not eat hardly anything. Mr. Stafford and I bought a peck of apples from the University yesterday for between-times. His mother could not make the cookies in time. So alas! I am going. (Back O.K.) Purdue had a big "pep" session this P.M. at 4:00. Nearly all the co-eds were out also, and we had some enthusiastic time. Last night the Frosh and Sophs came very nearly getting into a battle. I was not out but heard about it all right. Just the same there are over 1200 green caps and only 5 or 600 Sophs. The famous Purdue Bell was in the parade this afternoon. I shall send you an Exponent or two containing a picture of it you will thus be more able to form your good (?) opinion of our big university. I have class work from 8:00 to 4:00 tomorrow so I shall have to prepare some studies. I hope I am not taking too much of your time?

Sincerely,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home