Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Friday, March 25, 2005

November 2, 1919, From Richard

"Back Home'
9:45 Sunday

Dear Esther,

This time I found Esther heavily underscored. Of course I read your letter already, even though I feel yet like sleeping or something. I certainly would have died if I had made the trip back here tomorrow morning, for it was bad enough at the best. I had company all the way back, however, and consequently got to prove my gallantry towards a fair lady. She was a girl whom I knew at Indiana last year. She is teaching at Huntington now; and had been on a week end visit. We had a touch of luck, when we reached LaFayette, in the way of making railway connections. There was just barely time for us to catch a Ft. Wayne car at the street crossing as we came down from the Monon depot. Anyway my assistance was very valuable to her, a perfect stranger in our great (?) city. I left Tressie at Gosport in fine shape also, so now I have to consider you.

In a way I feel disappointed over my trip. Although I did have a great time. But I would have enjoyed a few more hours with you just the same. I hope you don't feel as if you were slighted too much, however the conditions may have been.

You were the only one to see me off, weren't you? Ha, I saw you throw a kiss at me, ever so gently. I never thought you were so cleverly romantic. And I do not believe any one else knows it, do they? So now I have a swell little secret to keep.

Since you cannot get this letter until Tuesday, I am going to visit dreamland and finish my letter when I come back. (Monday 9 A.M.) I feel just as if I had been at Purdue all the time. The same conditions are present in an overwhelming force. I have achieved a Math lesson this morning, and have my first class at ten o'clock.

I hope you have no sore throat yet, from being out so late in the night. Ha, ha! There is always someone or something to take the joy out of living; n'est-ce pas? Write soon; if you can spare the time.

Yours truly,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home