Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

January 17, 1920, From Mamma

Home. Jan 17--1920.

Dear Esther--

I can sit close to the stove and write with a pencil, so guess that's the way I'll write. It seems like a long time since I've written a real letter & also a long time since I've received one too. I suppose you are having lots of snow, the same as we are. It surely is lovely sleighing, for those who have sleds, but I see very few go by. I don't see how the "kids" will get to school in the car in the A.M. It was about all they could manage to get along last Thurs. & Fri. and it has snowed some more since then.

Well yesterday A.M. when I got up the house was full of smoke, so I opened doors & after a while the rooms got comfortable but papa expected Clark to go up on top of the house & be "chimney sweep." but clark did not do it so this A.M. everything was completely stopped up and things worse than ever. So they took down pipes & poked at the chimneys until we finally got comfortable, but by the time they were through it was too late to go to S.S.

Clark has been drawing house plans all P.M. He has a new one he wants you to see. He may send you a drawing of it. He, Ruth & I had lots of fun over it as usual. One amusing thing about this last drawing is that it is so much like our house in Piper. None of us noticed if for quite a while after we had been talking about it. I could not help laughing at the similarity. I was feeling quite miserable last Fri. & Sat. Could not eat a bite, so you may know I really was feeling badly. Am O.K. now.

(later) Have been down to Mrs. W.'w she is not feeling very well. Lloyd, Warren & Ruth followed me. We brought Wilma back with us on L's sled. Lloyd (violin) & I have just been playing Questions. It sounds so nice I wish he might take lessons. Ruth sang.

Mrs. Lindsey has Ruth's dress finished. It looks nice, but where can she wear it? I hope I may accomplish more this week than I did last. I have sewed some on your brown crepe-de-chine, but have not touched the plaid waist and Ruth & I need clothes so badly too. Mr. Farrar is going to buy more chickens of us. He seems so unsettled, I may have him & her here for dinner some day this week. I believe I'll let Ruth & Clark tell you about school. I can only tell you this much. Mr. Willis expelled Clark & two or three others for some small offense and they got in the car and went to see Neusbaum about it and he said they might go on to school. So they paid no attention to his "expelling". Then one day last week papa & Mr. Martin went to Decatur to attend a meeting of Ind Federation of Farmers & also expected to see Mr. Christian. They wanted to see Mr. C. before the meeting began; but did not get to, so they went back after the meeting and got to see him. But the most important part of that meet was that while there at Mr. Christian's, a Mr. Marshall came and after he heard what they had to say to Mr. C. he asked papa for a description of the man. He said he knew him well, thoroughly. And the sum of his talk (I haven't room to tell all he told) was, he had no use for the man. He said he would take his hat off any time to his energetic little wife, but no use for him. Now Mr. Marshall is an educated man and one of influence so papa said Mr. Christian "listened," but I don't know as he can be got rid of this year. I can not tell you one thing about Baker's for I never hear a word. Now I'll give Ruth the floor--Mamma.

[From Ruth]

I will have to stop although I have just begun. I will have to help papa with the separator. I have come back. It seems as if Mr.. Willis is half witted. Robert said once when his class was practicing Mr. Willis was in the furnace room asleep. So Robert and Daniel H. got a gun and put a blank cartridge and shot the [gun] through an open window in the room. Robert said he jumped upstairs they never saw him move so fast before. Robert said he had seen him in his stocking feet and his col[l]ar off many times. I guess they stay there night and day and play that Edison. Mr. Willis spoiled two good records. Just think I have not got my book reports made out for the first Semester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home