Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

November 17, 1918, From Richard

My pen has been injured, therefore the bad writing.

Interlaken School,
November Seventeen,
Ninteen-Eighteen.

Dear Esther:

This is a swell afternoon at Silver Lake and if I were not so busy baking for my hungry "buddies" I would wish for your company this afternoon. Of course I would be pleased by a meeting anyway. It certainly seems queer, the way and the power that circumstances have upon determining the position of a person, both socially and mentally. Although I have been here only about five weeks my affectionate friendship may have become changed to certain different degrees. Perhaps you are liable to misunderstand me, depending on how you feel about the situation. I have heard that in every person's life there is a psychological moment when certain romantic things are suddenly brought to light and understanding. The fountain of youth is perhaps not so mythical as might be supposed. Did you ever know that Ponce de Leon spent his life trying to find the "Fountain of Youth" supposed to be located on the island of "Bimini," and just before he died on his ship at see he wrote the following words on the edge of a book leaf: "The island of Bimini is in every man's heart and the fountain of youth is in it. And the hand of a woman shall touch it and cause it to flow."

Speaking of songs, I remember of a list of extra good ones that you said you had. And to be sure, that stammering song of "Katy" in its reformed condition has been very popular hereat this camp. We had a very happy & singing bunch of boys on the train coming down here to Interlaken and they still sing, when they get a chance. We dare not sing on K.P. or the mess Sergeant threatens to put us on for a week if we like it so well. So you see we have to pretend that we do not like K.P. Ha, ha! And no singing in bed either. Sad, sad!

The camp is open now, and yesterday, (Sat.) most of us got a pass to La Porte. I left here at one o'clock and spent the evening too in town. I had a fine time and the freedom seemed like old times. Saw the "Hearts of the World" there and it was a fine show, taken of war scenes similar to "My four Years in Germany." The people of La Porte use we soldier boys fine. Co. C suscribed over two hundred twenty dollars for their war fund the other night.

This army is not my business so I do not know when or what I will do. I passed the examination Friday all O.K. So no hopes of a discharge from that source. Ha, ha! I do not want any however anyway. the captain said the other night that we would all get a chance to go across yet and yesterday the report came out that most of us would be sent out immediately to go home. At any rate this camp is soon to be abandoned. So I cannot accurately make any statements concerning my future here or elsewhere. With my truest bet wishes,
Yours Sincerely,
Richard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home