Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

November 7, 1918, From Richard

Interlaken School, Nov. 7, 1918, 7:00 P.M.

My Dear Friend:

I received your very welcome letter Wednesday evening. And that box was thrice welcome. It came right along with the letter. You know we have to be in our bunks at 9:30 o'clock and the lights go out then. I did not get the mail until about that time on account of being too busy with the military affairs here. I also got a letter from Kathryn and Luella who sent me a pocket dictionary and note-book.

So I read your letter swiftly first, and just started on the others when darkness prevailed. This was the first time I ever read my letters in bed. Ha, ha! Of course I ate a cream-puff and some of that candy after that and certainly enjoyed the treat. Cream-puffs have always been my favorites so you see I was not sick of them and am not yet. Ha, ha! They were just fine and I shall have to admit that you are the better cook. I certainly appreciate your kindness in sending such good things and thank you many times. And I shall continue to hold an optimistic view of life. Ha, ha!

I still possess the same old address. It does not seem to me like Thanksgiving is soon to be here. I doubt if those girls come up here. I believe Kathryn said something about you liking to come up here too. Of course I should be glad to see you. I presume I might be here yet but I do not know.

They have discontinued that first chosen class in the M.T.C. and put only Co. A men in it. So I am out at the present but I hear that men will be picked from the other two companies as soon as they are examined. I can get in on that I think because thy only want fellows who are high-school graduates and have had at least three years experience as drivers or mechanics. I hope to pass the examination all right. These picked men will get to go to school and will soon pass out of this place. If I do not get in on this I am out of luck about right and may have to stay here longer than I want to. We hear tonight that old Kaiser Bill has surrendered. The boys are glad but I guess we will get about two years in the army if we get any at all.

This school had about forty a.[cres] of potatoes planted and the boys have to dig them. They shucked a field of corn too. I was out with the "sand" gang today. Will be on guard duty tonight too. And perhaps K.P. tomorrow. Ha, ha. That keeps us going, "I say."

I guess the war will keep us going for a while yet and I may get to go across. I think I will like to do that if I get a chance.

Tell Clark I got his letter and presents O.K. and shall write as soon as I can get time. Do not forget my gratitude towards you and write when you can.

Yours Sincerely,
Richard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home