Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

January 7, 1919, From Richard

148 Sheety Street
W. LaFayette, Indiana
January 7, 1919

My dear Little Girl,

Whether it be of any great interest to you or not, I wish to say that I am once more back on my old job of seeking and acquiring (some) knowledge. The first few days at the beginning of school is for me a discouraging and blue project. Especially at that time, but rarely any other, I feel an inclination to jump the track of the straight and narrow way. No doubt you had plenty to aannoy you also; but if you had any sympathy to spare I would have gladly appreciated it. I have surmised that if I did not write to you first, then our correspondence might have ceased, perhaps over nothing but a mere little formality which does not apply to all cases at all times. Any kind of waiting usually is successful for a time, there grows monotonous and useless; nevertheless I may be able to wait long enought to give one a fair trial, to satisfy or not to satisfy my longing for a true and lovable "somebody." Years separated me from my goal, and although I expect many pleasures and disappointments, I do not feel any lack of confidence. Social problems do not worry me much; that is, I find it harder to do other things.

Luella said you all got back to I.U., so I suppose you are alone yet. How did you enjoy your trip? Sorry you went that way?--I got here about 9:00 P.M. Monday night and surely enjoyed a sleep that night. Last night I went to a dance at Allens despite all my lessons. It served to revive my waning good spirits anyway. I hope you have had a better time. What a queer thing to notice how rapidly a good time passes away. Is it because we are all too much in love with pleasure; and each other? Tell me this. Yet I know what people do not usually love one another so much as all that. This is a hateful and cruel world for that.

Good cheer and success to you.

Yours,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home