Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

October 1, 1919, From Clark

Your clothes arrived safely

Oct. 1 1919

Dear ‘Little' Sister:--

I have been waiting for a chance to write and as I spoke for tonight about a week ago I am writing, as you see.

We have 54 in H.S. now and everything is going fine. We (H.T.H.S.) were talking about buying a phonograph so we have 2 machines there now an Edison (175) and a Columbia $100 the majority prefer the Edison and if we can get the money that is what we will get.

Last night I got home from B.B practice at 12 02/# we were working on the hall Mon. night until 11 15/ and until about 10 45/ last night before we started to practice. We play Geneva a week from Fri. night and we can beat them too. We changed the location of the hall it is over the garage now and it is a much better place.

I am taking English, Chemistry, General Science, Commercial arith, and Ceaser [sic] is that enough to keep me out of mischief or not. We were experimenting with Mercuric Oxide (red percipitate) sugar + starch we decomposed all of them and had a swell time. There are 16 of us seniors.

How are those flowers growing how is the rose in particular are there any buds on it.

I received a letter from Willie he didn't have much to say but it is rather lonely his address is
William J. Reffe,
306 Elm Ct.,
Akron
Ohio

He would appreciate a letter very much so would Mrs. Whitsel

My ford doesn't run right yet, it needs a little rest I guess

You may write with one boy talking but here there are 2 kids who ‘are' what we are reported to have descended from.

I can't even hear myself think.

Your big brother (senior now)
E. Clark Munro.

P.S. Our B.B. Suits will look swell green sweaters with purple stripes and golden monogram green satteen [sic] pants with purple bottom and side stripe also green socks with purple stripes. The pants have a 4 inch inseam, rather abbreviated eh?

Well good bye,
Clark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home