Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

February 19, 1919, From Richard (Includes Esther's Reply)

Bloomington, Indiana
February 19, 1919

Dear Esther:

This has been a beautiful day; and as far as the weather is concerned, it could not have been much more perfect for a day in February. Never before has there been such a winter; a combination of spring and fall, or might it be summer and winter. I think that when I learn enough I shall find if possible by the method of analysis, just what kind of a chemical compound it is. Ha. On the pretty rolling hillsides of the campus one can hear among the trees, the songbirds singing their sweet songs of love. Campus life is just one pleasant diversion after another, and anyone who does not enjoy it is not getting the fullness of living out of it.

I received your excellent photography and note yesterday, and your letter today. Dare I give you any compliments on the picture? I received several, and one was given by a friend here as follows: "Gee, she is good enough looking to be a Republican". Do you think that that is a nice compliment? Of course I should not permit any remarks to be made except nice ones. Really I may decide to regard he picture as a valentine; although you said you did not send any. Perhaps though, I had better write my most intimate thoughts in French. Then they will puzzle you more. Chere amie, only means, dear friend; and nothing terrible at all, unless you wish to consider it so. I am not serious, however, about my French.

It is certainly fine to hear what a little sport you are becoming to be. Going everywhere and having an enjoyable time. I heartily encourage you, and hope your parties on Thursday and Friday nights are a howling success. I also wish you a good time next Sunday evening.

Speaking of church, I was very intellectually entertained at the M.E. Holy Roller church a few nights ago. They had a religious revival I guess. Have been to the Christian Science church and noticed several pretty girls. Ha.

I hope Mr. Macy does not die. Don't you also? I do not believe I am going to get to come home. Anyway I have received no more instructions. Ha. And there is a report that there will be no vacation between terms. In due time you shall receive my picture. My agents will see to that. Wishing you lots of happiness, I remain,

Yours Truly,
Richard Glendening


[A rough draft of Esther's reply was enclosed in the envelope.]

Geneva Ind
Feb 23, 1919.

Dear Richard:

Well I have had a pretty good time this past week. One diversion, not a party, was a debate or rather a discussion we had in Civics class on woman's suffrage. The boys argued against the girls with Clark on the girls side. Only two of the boys had anything to say because the others believed as the girls did and couldn't agree in a way they didn't believe. It wasn't very spirited in the class but you should have heard us at recess. Clyde Roman's argument when summed up amounted to this: If women were allowed to vote they would also want to hold office then all women would be running for office and would no longer care for their homes therefore there would be no more homes and so he wouldn't have any. That's about all there was to his argument. Of course there's lots of sense to it!

I may have been going a good deal but nothing to equal Clark. Last week he was at basket-ball practice Tue. evening, a game at Bluffton Wed. evening, the party at the school-house Tur eve. and class meeting Fri. A pretty well filled week. I was only at the party & class-meeting. The party about wore me out. I must have made twenty round trips up & down the steps at school that evening helping arrange things for it. I could hardly walk the next day. The evening was spent in dancing, playing games, pulling taffy and eating candy. I didn't have as good a time as I sometimes do at the class-meeting. Perhaps I was too tired from the evening before. We needed some one to liven us up. There were no older people there. Laurel and Velma tried to come. That is, they started but had trouble with the car and at ten o'clock got to Forest Shoemaker's. They hated to ask for a horse & buggy to take them on so stopped there and didn't get to attend after all. Velma was terribly disappointed. I wish they could have come. I suppose now there will be a long time when nothing will happen at least I know of nothing now.

As to my picture you may regard it as a valentine if you wish to for I had hoped to get them in time to send them as such. Was that person who made that remark about me a Democrat or Republican. What am I supposed to be a Democrat.

I am feeling a little bit gloomy or blue so if my letter sounds that way you will know why. You should be here to cheer me up. We were talking of going some where this evening to break the monotony of the day but Clark is sleepy and the rods are so very terrible I guess we won't. In many places in the road holes go clear through the rock. The rainy weather we had this past week has been very hard on them. Pretty soon we won't be able to go over the road at all between Perryville and Geneva.

And so you will have no vacation between terms. I was hoping that you would get to come home thin. I suppose now you won't get to until the end of school.

Do you remember my telling you about the Civics class talking about going to Indianapolis to see the legislature while in session. We are talking about it some more again but I am afraid we can't go for time is very short until the legislature will be out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home