Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Friday, January 28, 2005

January 31, 1919, From Richard (Birthday Poem for Esther)

Bloomington, Indiana
January 31, 1919

Dear Esther:

You may be surprised to get another letter from me this week. At least I hope you are surprised to learn that I have not forgotten about February two. How nice it is to have a birthday on Sunday. Is it symbolic? It is with much pleasure that I send a little greeting; and since I can not meet you personally, you shall have to draw upon your imagination when you read the following:

"Reach your hand to me,
my friend,
With heartiest caress.
Sometime there will come an
end
To its present faithfulness.
Sometime I may call in vain
For the touch of it again,
When between us "land
and sea"
Holds it ever back from me."

I hope, very sincerely, that you do not have the "flu' yet. The ban is set here for a period until Friday noon, February twenty-one. Ha.

"They say, that the good die young", so therefore I wish you a long and happy life".

Yours Truly,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home