Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Friday, January 28, 2005

January 22, 1919, From Richard (Includes Esther's Reply)

403 East Sixth Street
Bloomington, Indiana
January 22, 1919

Dear Esther:

I hope you are better by this time, and that you have not got the "Flu". For then you could not enjoy my letter to the fullest extent. I am pleased well enough with your letters, and since I know that I am one of your correspondents "of quality", therefore I realize my importance. But, are you sure all of your few intimate friends are good enough to very closely associate with? A person is likely to cause the decline of his or her reputation and good standing by such a mistake. Although no matter what sort of a personality is present there are usually a few admirable qualities in anyone. (A bunch of the guys have started a rough house in here so I will change the subject.) I suppose that I am not unquestionable.

It is quite bad that the W.W. class is getting to such a place as you stated. Hardly any numbers, and even the "Flu" preventing a swell time at a class-meeting. If it were not for you what would your classes amount to in interest and sociability? Even my sister does not attend. But you know she can be excused. I wish you the best of success however, in teaching them.

That teacher (man) certainly has individuality, from what I can contrive. Do you still like his methods so well? If you are not careful you will become prejudiced against college and college students. Ha! The professor is a man who has little religion, if any at all, I suppose. About that formality stuff you know, he out [sic] to be a Presbyterian like myself. I guess I shall go to that church this Sunday. I went to the Baptist the last time. they are not nearly so formal as the Methodist's are.

I am enjoying College life as usual. Those English classes are just named that way. I shall explain later perhaps. They are rushing my intellect a little just now.

Really I thought you wished to be reimbursed for due postage. No, I didn't, Mademoiselle; pardo. I was not sure. Anyway you deserve the postage, or I mean the five cents. Did you sell the stamps? With best wishes and all I remain,

Yours Truly,
Richard Glendenning


[A rough draft of Esther's reply was enclosed in the envelope.]


Geneva Ind.
Jan. 25, 1919.

Dear Richard:

That wasn't the "flu" that was bothering me I guess. Just hoarseness. A number at school seemed to be effected [sic] the same way. Though the "flu"is better at school it is worse in our immediate neighborhood. It seems that everyone is destined to have it one time or another. I suppose our turn will come one of these days. Is the "flu" situation improving at I.U.? When does the ban lift?

Did I tell you that the new teacher's name was Ishmael Mason. When I learned what his first name was I couldn't help but think "Poor fellow". How could any parents have the hard-heartedness to impose such a name as that on any defenseless child. It's about as bad as the name House. He has committed no outrageous act this last week. However he did call us down for breaking chairs while playing Wink. (We broke three but they were cheap folding chairs) In speaking about it he told us we didn't play it right and later told the boys that the proper way was to kiss the girls. Someone then proposed they invite him down to show them how. But this was not carried out. Miss Byerly is the one who should come in for the greatest condemnation this week. Apparently she wants to run the whole school. I don't see how Tressie can stand it. I have heard of several things she (Miss Byerly) has done.

Rolland has just been over to see if we can go to their place to-morrow but I don't know for sure whether we will go or if we can prevale [sic] upon them to come here. He came on horse-back with his cap on backwards like a jockey. He certainly is a cut-up. I hope the sun shines tomorrow for then we could try to take his pictures again. I would like some time to get a good one. I think Clark promised to send Kathryn one if ever he got a good one.

While you are making the rounds of the churches you ought to visit the Catholic church if you have never done so. But do not join it. I suppose that's a very necessary admonition. I have never been in a Catholic church but once and that was to attend a funeral a long time ago. So I don't know much about how they carry on their services but I've heard a plenty. Let me know how you like the Presbyterian church or if you can see much difference between it and the others. I wonder if they do like they did in the church in Piper; for you know churches of the same denomination differ quite a bit in different localities.

I can tell you what became of those stamps at last. When I was going to put a stamp on that last letter I couldn't find any in the house so I used one of those you sent me. So you have on in your possession already and may have the other one some day.

Who are the two boys in the picture of the cave? Are either of them Mr. House?

Do you remember the poinsettias? I may have a chance to see some real ones some of these days. Mamma got a little from Aunt Mabel (in California) saying that they grew out there and were very beautiful but had no odor and that she wanted to send us some. I don't know whether she meant cut ones or plants. So I may see some and wish you could too.

Ruth is feeling a little bummy and we accuse her of having the "flu". (As soon as we say that she declares she hasn't any fever and isn't feeling so very bad. Papa is going to get some astor oil anyway. You see we believe in preparedness.

You spoke of the boys starting a rough-house while you were writing. I wonder if they can equal Lloyd and Warren, especially when helped by Ruth and Clark.

Since I didn't get to send this letter when I expected to I think I shall add some more to it. It will then be "2 in 1". (two in one). It is Sunday evening and if you were here instead of there I would now be looking down the road watching each pair of auto lights to see if they slowed up when near our lane. But since you are not here & I can not see you I shall have to content myself with writing to you.

I wish you were here and I could consult you about the class. there are certainly a lot of responsibilities attendent [sic] upon the position of teacher. I am also upon the social committee you know, you and Alva being the other two members. If there at Bloomington you hear of any new game to play, or piece some one could speak, or new way of choosing partners or anything we could do for entertainment please tell me. It would be a great help. when you were here you told me something about a new way of choosing partners by having the boys buy tickets to certain towns but I didn't understand it very well at the time and so have forgotten. There were eleven in the class this morning which is a good deal better than it has been. (Bertha and Raymond are home to stay.) What would you think if I were to write to you some of these times and tell you I had joined the Hartford church? Revival services are to begin pretty soon and they will be wanting me you know. Especially since I am a teacher.

After all we spent the afternoon at Sprungles. We took two pictures. I hope one at least is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home