Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Friday, January 28, 2005

February 5, 1919, From Richard (Includes Esther's Reply)

Bloomington, Indiana
February 5, 1919

Chere Esther:

I had the pleasure of receiving your nice letter late yesterday afternoon. My mail usually comes in the forenoon, so I was surprised to be so fortunate after all. Speaking of mixed letters, I think mine are a very good example. But you must consider that I have a House here in the room with me who talks. And since he is a Democrat, (the only one in the house) we are apt to stop work at any time and engage in a political discussion. Or talk about fraternities, and dates, and things like that you know. Imagine young, Freshmen, college guys, if you please, who are compelled by the etiquette of the campus to wear small green caps with a bright red button on the top of each beautiful, decorative cap. The chief purpose is to decorate the campus.

Since you now have a better question mark than before, I do not like to question you too much; but did you go to the class meeting? I realize of course, that like everyone else, that there is an unknown something present. I was to the Presbyterian services all forenoon Sunday, and enjoyed it all very much. Next Sunday I am going to the Christian Science Church. I may have not understood thoroughly what you said about joining church, so what I do say should be judged lightly. Can you tell whether I am serious or just in a playful mood? Many times I imply several meanings. Just to season a letter properly. But as you say, honesty is the best and only policy to follow.

I had a letter from Alva a few days ago, and he is apparently the same as usual. He said, Clair and Harry did go to Ft. Wayne to work, but came back again. I do not know how soon I shall return.

And being a N.C.O. in this R.O.T.C. is not much to be proud of according to my estimation. Instead of getting a commission. I shall more likely become a private soon. You would not recognize me now, I have become so much lighter. Perhaps my rising is not early enough . Ha.

The ban is removed now. But we are advised to be cautious. Shall I?

I received one of the latest editions of myself yesterday. That I had taken at Portland two months ago. would you care to have one? They were delayed because of poor work. That is why I shall not give you one unless you wish it. It might be an imposition. Ha. I am doubtful.

We are all O.K. down here. I wish you success and happiness.

Yours Sincerely,
Richard Glendening


[A rough draft of Esther's reply was inclosed in the envelope.]


Geneva Ind.
Feb. 9, 1919,
7:00

Dear Richard:

Every one is sitting around eating pop corn balls. Don't you wish you had one? But perhaps you are having some thing just as good or better. (Luella wrote sometime ago about the girls making candy and the boys begging it of them. All who asked got some. You may have been among the number so if they treat the boys so well you may be eating some thing now.) I suppose you are beginning to really enjoy your self now that the ban is off.

So my last letter arrived on Tuesday. That was not mailed at the regular time. I have often wondered how long it took a letter to get to you. Tell me at what time this comes. Your letter almost always comes Friday.

You must certainly have interesting discussions & conversations with Mr. House. I'd like to hear one of your political discussions. I wonder if they are any thing like the ones Luella and I used to have. I didn't talk politics with you so much.

Harry told me this morning that he really was going to leave for Ill. & that Clair was going some where. Everyone seems so restless, they want to be doing some thing different, they don't know what but some thing.

I am sorry to hear you are getting thin. I hoped you would stay as you were when you left. (You know you are better looking when fleshy than when thin.) College life must not agree with you. I wish I could see you with that wonderful cap on. You must certainly look like a "college sport" in all those colors. "College sport" is what all the pupils call Ishmael. Do your ears get cole? What form of humiliation is forced upon freshmen girls to correspond to that if the boys?

I, too, have had trouble with pictures and at Portland. I had my picture taken over a month ago and haven't received them yet. I didn't like the looks of the proof so I don't expect to like the finished picture. I really would like to have one if it looks anything at all like you. Would you like one of mine (if they ever get here)? I went to Sullivans. Is that where you went?

I have my grades from the exam. I passed but if Tressie hadn't been extremely lenient I believe I would have failed in Latin as it was I got 93. Physics was very easy and I got 100. So did Murry Holloway. The lowest grade in the class was 95.

(Things passed very quietly last week so far as Ishmael was concerned until Friday night. Friday night the basket-ball team went to Decatur to play Kirkland. Ishmael refereed the last half tho the team didn't want him to and favored the other team so much that he caused Hartford to lose the game. So the members of the team dislike him more than ever. I didn't see the game but Clark was there as sub.)

Yes, I was at the class-meeting. And tried to take the place Mr. Hollinger used to We needed you to go ahead with the games. There was no one there to do it so things were a little bit slow. the class is getting smaller so fast and I hate to see it so. Glady Glendenning was there that evening. Have you ever told me about her? it seems to me I have heard some one mention her name. You have so many relatives scattered here and there I get them all mixed up. Next meeting at Reefe's on eve. before G.[eorge] W.[ashington's] birthday. Want to have W. program but don't know what to have.

It is getting late so I shall bid you good-night and wish you happy dreams.

Sincerely yours
Esther Munro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home