Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

April 18, 1919, From Richard

Bloomington, Indiana
April 18, 1919

My Dear Miss Munro:

I received your rather informal announcement of your marriages. It grieves me deeply to think of you having tho undergo so many unpleasant (?) ceremonies. Why make it more unpleasant by having a ferocious bulldog present to scare the wits from the bride and bridegroom? Since your first marriage was unsuccessful, the second might be also because tof the impending circumstances and consequences. Nevertheless I wish you happiness ever afterwards. I shall send this to your former address and in your former name, hoping that the knot is not tied before you receive it, as your husband might object. Thanks to you for making a personal announcement:

"Farewell! All is over.
The bitter tears are falling.
I am adrift,
On a dark wintry sea."


Yours Truly,
Richard N. Glendening

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home