Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

May 19, 1919, From Luella

Indiana University
Le dix-huit mai, 1919.

Dear Esther:

Is it wrong to write letters on Sunday? Or is it the same as studying on Sunday? I have not opened a book to-day. A speaker who was here recently said we should be efficient enough to get our lessons before Sunday. I never can study on Sunday no difference how hard I try--for my mind seems to be far away from my lessons. That is what all college students say. Something must take the power of concentration away from books.

I have not been to school since last Wednesday and I do not know when I am going back. About all I have to do is to write letters. I have been writing home every day and that takes up a great amount of time.

What have you been doing since school is out? Do you not wish you had some of your high-school days over again? You know when a person is in high school they are care free; after they are through high-school they are more responsible for themselves, especially if their folks are poor financially. Though the best all around good people in college are those who work their way through college.

I had a fine motor ride this after noon. It was certainly a lovely day for motoring. The country is so beautiful for motoring or for hikes. Though I have not taken so very many hikes so far. It is no fun to go unless one has good company. Good company can hardly spare a whole day off very often.

Monday 11.15 A.M.

I have been busy all fore noon and have not done much either. Have been looking for a dress pattern but I have not even decided upon that. I did rid out my trunk--but it is almost full again and I have nothing in it either. I do not see how a person will get every thing home.

The fire engine was out here while ago for a fire near but they got it out. I do not know what caused it but it must have not amounted to much.

I am sorry I got that camisole to [sic] large but probably if it is drawn up some and washed it will be all right. For my part I do not like them large but most every one down here gets them large--of course they do not dare to fit tight at all. I suppose you received lots of presents.

Do you not think Rev. Snider set a bad example for the Willing Workers? They are taking it up any way. There are seemingly bright prospects for some of the others too.

I am disappointed I did not get any mail this fore-noon. I am going to call Richard for he very likely received some for me.

I hope you are enjoying yourself instead of feeling lonesome.

Admiringly yours
Luella.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home