Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

February 18, 1920, From Richard

In Close ViewFalling Snow, Flakes
2-18-20

Dear Esther,

Just to show you that I can appreciate a response from an uncertain, distrustful girl who shows such a good unselfish attitude towards her friends. How can I find language powerful to express my thoughts to you and yet be perfectly safe and non-committal. From what you say, or what you do not say, I suppose that I'm not taken very seriously in anything I say. I don't exactly mean to bring about such disconcerting problems of relationships when no doubt but that everything would come out according to its predestiny anyway. Esther I do not believe either you or I are deeply enough entwined to overcome all obstacles in our "pathway". So you would prefer speech to written words! In that case perhaps I had better check my pen and also leave the words unspoken; words that might be meaningless and useless or unwisely spoken. For you know I have my failings and weaknesses. I have no desire to make anyone's life harder or more miserable, and would it be possible also to unconsciously refrain from causing joy. What is that that says, "one must live one life ere he learns to live". Speaking more lightly but nevertheless with significance do you recall that, "A man should not marry his first love. It is not wise; he has to be "seasoned" for matrimony. Like eating nine olives, loving nine women cultivates your taste and teaches you to appreciate one of them". But finally every man tires of being an eagle with his so called comfortable freedom.

Speaking of school, I will be busier in the future than in the past if I expect to make my course of any value. Purdue disapproves of C's and any person famed for having three or is advised to leave the university. Only about one hundred seventy-five had the "pleasure" at the end of the 1st semester. It's the "survival of the fittest". Another interesting statistic is that of about $40,000 spent last semester for all the dances and social functions of the students. "A college town for me". Hoping that all is well of IU.

Very sincerely,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home