Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

February 5, 1920, From Richard

148 Sheety St.
Feb. 5, 1920

Dear Esther,

There might be more pleasure and a greater benefit from going to convocation this afternoon; but since I'm not sure I shall stay home and write. Have you wondered whether the mail man was still on duty? I got both notes; but am not so sure about anything else. So you saw your shadow, and what has that got to do with a weather prophesy concerning winter? Oh, I think I know what you inferred; but I had some different superstitions. Any way the light happy days of spring will soon be here, so "dear child let them rail."

I presume that I.U. is once more assuming an atmosphere of learning and of business, with a very slight undercurrent of reckless gaiety. The true college spirit should be left to run more freely than it does, and not crippled nor hampered so as to produce a careless forgetfulness of natural enthusiasm. Perhaps you have more to enjoy by being a freshman than just an easy schedule. It is hard, no doubt, for you to get time to think intelligently. It is only momentary thoughts that I can write just now or almost any time for that matter.

No, I arranged my own schedule this semester and got what I wanted with out very much effort or trouble; but I shall certainly be doing lots of work; that is I shall be exposed to a lot of it. I only have thirty-four hours of work per week in A.H., 2 agronomy's; Entomology; math; Biology; Dairy, and the Purdue Army.

There are to be no vacations here until June 5. Consequently I cannot answer all your questions. Have you any? I have my Sat. A.M.'s about full so if I go home I shall necessarily have to cut some classes and a drill period. What I'll do about it I do not know, and sometimes care less whether I slide some of it or not. It is very interesting to record the variations in the attitude and the enthusiasm for certain things. Not fickleness; but perhaps just the natural fluctuations of one's hopes and feeling.

Has your roommate returned to the U. yet? She surely will have a lot of work to make up unless the profs are very merciful, as some of the older ones are. We must disregard those "old maid" sewing teachers as ineligibles. They may have their use as living examples.

Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home