Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

April 23, 1919, From Richard

Bloomington, Indiana
April 23, 1919

Dear Esther:

I am afraid that if I do not write nice letters that I shall lose my reputation. Most people, here and there, think that I am not yet disreputable enough for solitary confinement; but I wonder if anyone knows my true state of mind. If I cast reflections of an undesirable quality I am sorry.

And I now know from your last, most pleasant letter, that I must have been registered in your mind as an extremely polite (or impolite?) liar. I am glad you learned differently without the necessity of my explanation. I had forseen [sic] the possibility of a doubt, therefore I had prepared; but did I intend for you to find it?

I have heard so much about that "story of love and married life" that I do wish I could help fill your opera-house tonight. Isn't it tonight, Wednesday, April 23? Mother said that she enjoyed the play very much. It must have been well done. But I do not see how a play of love could be very good if there was no kissing to help interpret the meaning of the most interesting and heart-throbbing scenes. A good play cannot end these days unless there is a splendid lovers' hug and long drawn kiss to conclude the last romantic act. Kissing is a universal autograph of love.

Perhaps I should speak of your class meeting. Was it a success? I am missing all such fine social functions by being a "college sport." Ha

We have some adorable mid-term examinations this week. I have to write an argument about the League of Nations tonight before retiring. I imagine you and I could discuss it. Ha, ha. Sen. [Harry S.] New spoke on it here the other day. College life is a swell(ed) life.

I am going to a violin concert by Isolde Menges, an English world-renowned violinist. I am interested in such music as you know. But there is the misfortune of not having a roommate who appreciates good (?) music. Ha.

Hoping that someday you will be a great actress, I beg to remain,

Yours Truly,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home