Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

September 9, 1919, From Richard

148 Sheety Street
La Fayette, Indiana
September 9, 1919

Dear Esther:

Once more it is necessary for me to express my thoughts to you by writing. How I sometimes wish that I could be with you always! Perhaps you may have thought I did from the way I stayed last night or so. Yet I can not easily tell a girl like you what I think.

It is now 9:00 o'clock and I have been at Purdue six hours. Would you believe me if I told you that I felt a little sleepy. Ha, ha! And I am thinking of you at the party, also. I'll wager my green cap that I will beat you to bed for once, tonight. They are wearing them here at Purdue. Ha, but I see where I may have to wear one for a while. And the appropriate one will have a yellow button on top, with a very short visor. It is rumored that the yellow button stands for the agricultural students and the red for the engineers.

Will you think that I have rather low ideals for choosing agriculture as my course here? It is all that I care very much about doing, so I am going to try it. Old I.U. taught me a few things and I have learned the rest by experience, what little I have had. You have never been very well informed yet about what my plans were. I can not quite explain why I act so unless it is because I do not feel on intimate enough terms with you. Or because I fear to intrust anything in your possession. May I feel safe?

I traveled all the way from Portland with a Shimp whom I was acquainted with. He is almost 22 and is here to just begin. My room-mate is a Sophomore "Ag" student.

Best wishes and write soon.

Sincerely,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home