Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

November 7, 1919, From Ruth and Mamma

Geneva Indiana
Nov. 7, 1919.

Dear Sister:

I received the birthday present yesterday. I was so tickled to get it. I just thank you over & over again. (I am writing this during school time). (What is the name of that twig you sent us?) And I will try to follow your advice. Warren visited school yesterday. I do not know if he liked it or not. Any how he just about cryed to go again today. I am invited to go to a Freshman & Sophomore party at Glendening's next Thursday evening (English class).

Saturday night. Well I must finish this letter. There were two men from Mexico to work in the beets. They appear to be decent & respectable men. They work about all night and about half of the day. Papa thinks they are part Indian, Spainish, & Negro. They asked Clark (one of htem) to write & read a letter for him.

I am just starting to learn how to play tennis. Clark & Edna Glendening can play good I think. Last night our first & second team played Bryant's first & second team. The second & first were 4.0 to 0 & 49 to 13 in our favor. Wasn't that going some?

Well I want to read a continued story in the S.S. paper called "The Light on Lone Island.

Good-night
Ruth.

P.S. Wilma weighed 33lb., Warren 44, Lloyd 52 3/4, Mamma 110, me 126, Clark 141 ½ Papa 142 ½, & Mrs. Whitsel 189 ½ lb. (Sunday)

P.S. Mon A.M.

I will write some more while papa runs washing machine. It has started out bad again. I can not find any perfume that belongs to you. There is some up stairs; but R. says it is hers and she don't know any thing about yours.

Clark got Lloyd some shoes Sat. and they cost $4.25 Isn't that awful? eggs are 60.¢ per doz. but we have none to sell. young chix 17¢. and I have some to sell, but think price very low.

Have you time to think of Xmas presents? Well this is all.

With love--from
Mamma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home