Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

September 11, 1919, From Richard

148 Sheety street
W.(est) La Fayette Ind.
September 11, 1919

Dear Esther:

You may be surprised to get another letter from me so soon, but I hope you will pardon me if it is not all right. There hardly ever was a time when I, myself, did not welcome a letter from someone and especially you. However I do not ask you by any means to keep up with my pace. I imagine this will be my last letter to you until you reach I.U. The first few days you spend at the school will no doubt make you feel very blue, and if so, then will be the time to receive cheerful letters. Registration, enrollment and trying to find your proper schedule in its proper place is a very discouraging proposition and a person certainly regrets at that time that he ever went away to college. However, as in all things, the situation will become more enjoyable or grow worse.

I have had one grand (?) time to get started here at this new school. There is so much red tape connected with it all, and this is such a large school that it reminds me of the army. In speaking about the army, I shall soon be a soldier again. This time a member of the Field Artillery. This also will be my last year of compulsory military training. From Indiana University I get credit here for Freshman English 1 & 2, Chemistry 1& 2, and a year's work of drill in the R.O.T.C. The 1 and 2 stands for the 1st and 2nd semester, or a term of school. It will in all probabilities take me four years to take all my work here. I had hoped not.

I shall be very glad if I can be of any help to you in choosing your work at I.U. If you should take Home Economics there and intend to come to Purdue next year, then it would be advisable to take French as your Romance Language. You could get credit for it here and I am not sure about Spanish. They would not give me credit for any without making me take another year. I would not do it so I guess I lose it.

Wishing you the best of luck I am yours.

Sincerely,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home