Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

November 9, 1919, From Mamma

Home. Nov. 9--'19

Dear Esther--

It is a good thing just now that I am writing instead fo trying to talk. For my mouth is so full of taffy that I don't think I could talk very successfully.

Will send you some of it when I send your clothes to you. I hardly know how to pack it for I know it will be as sticky as the "fury". But I thought it would supply you with some sweetness. How did your pickles carry? Hope they did not spoil the doughnuts. I was going to send the pickles separately, but Clark thought they would carry O.K.

Well, our beet men worked all day today (Sun.) and I believe it is just as well that they did for the weather looks threatening again tonight. The weather has been very hard on the beet tenders, as well as the beet raisers.

Your cape (throw) came Sat. I went to town in P.M. to get the lining. Will work on it tomorrow P.M. if all goes well. Hope it suits. It was not just the color I wanted but they did not have much of a choice. I think the throw material is lovely. Don't you? Of course this letter will reach you before it does.

Is Luella getting along O.K. now. Now we are talking again of driving down there. Our generator came Sat. It would do no harm any how for you to write and tell me what you want me to bring along in case we should drive down.

How is Robert? How does Mrs. Carter manage to wait on him and do the work? I should think he'd get awful tired in bed. I did not go any where at all today and it has been so warm too. Every body went to S.S. but Mrs. Whitsel and myself.

The H.T.H.S. beat Bryant team last Friday night 40 to nothing 2nd team. 13 to 49 first team all in favor of H.T. Next Wed. night the Sophs play the Seniors & money goes to Class Treas. This is from Clark. Now once more about our coming down, if weather turn out bad or cold we will not be there or if we are too busy.

Hope you got good grades. Say are you planning on coming home Thanks-giving? The other evening Warren was having Ruth spell words. just any he could think of while she was wiping dishes. He said spell flour she said what kind? meaning of course the kind that bloom or wheat flour & he said Polar Bear. I thought she would herself laughing.

Bye bye from--
Mamma.

[The following was written on a small scrap of paper enclosed in the envelope.]

It makes no difference to my work when you send your clothes home. Mrs. Baker said the same of Justine's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home