Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

December 14, 1919, From Mamma and Ruth

Geneva. (Sun.) Dec. 14--‘19

Dear Esther--

Well, I promised to write some so I'll have tow write tonight if I do at all before you get home. I went to town yesterday A.M. to that sale, and the store was packed as quick as the door was opened. So you can imagine ones chance at trading with such a crowd. But I finally got Addie Hoskisson to wait on me. I only bought the common necessaries, and not all of those. So will go back again if I can get the time. I need comfort material so bad. Now let met ell you what is before me this week. I don't know if I can make those bags or not. I could have done it last week, but could not get the material by sending for it so thought I'd see to it this week myself. But Papa told me today that I might look for those corn-fodder shredders Wed. Thur. & Fri. that means 14 men each day. Then on Mon. I'll wash (if weather permits) and go see Mrs. Lindsey about Ruth's dress. Tues I'll iron& bake up everything I can think of for those men. Of course it may storm and spoil all the plans. But I really wish to have it over with before you come. So we can talk & sew.

Clark went to Bluffton yester ever to get Justus Kelley & family. He has had to take them back this eve. He had a sore throat too. Lloyd has been complaining about his. No one went to S.S. but Ruth and papa. They walked. A very small turn out. I suppose you have decided by now how you are coming home.


[Continued by Ruth]

This is Ruth Writing now. I have received one Christmas present allready. It is a pair of brown gloves. They are made of cloth not even lined. I am going to have a test in General S. to-morrow. And I am begining to shake now. I belive I did not tell you my grade in test the first and last time was 94 next to the highest grade. The one that grade cheated so much. And I am glad to say that none of the rest cheated. The highest grade was 96. Please tell me when you come home tell me what you want for Christmas. I'll tell what I want Christmas now: books, fountain pen, my graduation picture framed. We just called were called up and Mr. Lehman told us he could not have the thrashers shredders Mon. So that means that we will have them Thursday, Friday, and Sat.


[More from Mamma]

Wilma stayed with us when Clark took the folks back to Bluffton as Mrs. Whitsel went along, just for the ride. Now, I don't think you'll hear from us again till you come home. Come home which ever way you think best, but I would not come alone.

I must close & go to bed early and prepare to work, work, work.

From,
Mamma


Mon. A.M.

Clark just told me that if you came to Portland Fri. night he can meet you there as well as not there is to be a B.B. game at Bryant that night. But come any way that suits you best & we will meet you. Just let us know.

Mamma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home