Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

December 14, 1919, from Richard

P.U. La Fayette, Ind.

Dear Esther,

I think I ought to start this week off as if I meant to do the right thing at least. Although I have quite a lot to do today and all this week, I can usually transfer enough time to write a little while. Due to the fact that I went to Sunday School today, had a number of visitors, and loafed some myself, I am afraid I must forgo any dates or other similar escapades for the evening. Of course it is a disappointment to me as well as others. Ha.

I hope you are not suffering yet of the fine cool weather that is whizzing around outside. Everybody around here, who can, go over to the park to skate, and it is a great sport too. I have no skates here; but am longing for them with little hope of having my desire gratified. Do you skate? I rather think you once said you didn't. So, you did not like those plays that you saw there at the University. And Hamlet was no good. I have never seen it played myself, so I take your word for it. A lot of people, however, are hard to humor, when they have ideas.

We have such a warm room here that it is hard to believe there was any coal shortage. No, I'm not freezing; but I do have a lot of "chicken" problems on my mind. Pardon me, but I have two classes of ‘em to study and mix with. Nevertheless I shall be very glad to go home; just like I was about a year ago. Ha, ha! I have classes until 12:00 Saturday, the 20the., so I'm not quite sure just when I can get home. I hope you do not have any more such exciting trips as you had a few weeks ago. Ha.

Wishing you the best of luck this week. I hope to see you during vacation.

Sincerely,
Richard

P.S. I had to cut this short so as to send it up to be mailed by roomie.

R.N.G.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home