Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

December 7, 1919, from Richard

148 Sheety Street
La Fayette, Ind.
December 7, 1919

Dear Esther,

You seem to be having your share of adventure in all lines of activities. Also many new experiences with the weather. Purdue University has only a car or two of coal ahead at any time; but we are going fearlessly ahead with the work just the same. You see it takes about two car loads per day here and if the shortage is not met there will be something doing at Purdue. The only way the coal shortage could affect our vacations would be to make them longer, wouldn't it? I heard that Indiana U. has enough coal to run till March; but there is a rumor that we may get out one weak earlier. However, I have no confidence in such reports. In two weeks tho! Ha, ha!

When I read in the paper about the Monon train being almost wrecked, I never thought you were on the train. You might have been killed, and that would not have even suited you, would it? I'm glad you escaped so fortunately.

I did not go to Sunday School today on account of the slippery side walks; and my laziness. Roomie brought a Sunday paper back with him, from breakfast, and I read that, when I got up. Ha, ha! I also did a poultry problem for next Wednesday, before going to dinner. Now this afternoon I have nothing to do but write letters or go on dates. Of the two, I chose letters for the present, and the others later. Did it give you a miserable day yesterday, as we had? I went over to the shows with a friend last evening, took in the [...] and a vaudeville at the Family.

It's surely inconvenient for you to have so much work to do, letters, sewing, and all that other stuff you mentioned. I do not believe they can put me "under" here, at least I hope not. Since you have so much to deal with, I shall not ask you any new questions this time; but hope you find lots of enjoyment out of the others. Wishing you a speedy relief from all your hard work.

Yours,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home