Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

November 30, 1919, From Richard

Purdue University
November 30, 1919

Dear Esther,

I received both of your letters Friday, and was surely well pleased to hear that you went home. I was not disappointed you see. Of course if you did not have the sore throat by this time, you no doubt went to Sunday School today. Which is more than I cared to do on such a cold day. It will be more profitable for me to work today and go out tonight, if I can do it. Ha, ha.

I had a wonderful time here on Thanksgiving day and since too. I'll let Katheryn speak for herself as to the merits of our good time, Purdue, and of everything in general. Our statements might conflict, and I do not wish to bother you with any of our little differences, if there shoudl be any to arise.

I surely was sorry, however, that I did not get to go home. I don't understand why you went "just because you had such a good chance". Don't you care anything for your home, parents, or little brothers; more than any other equally as interesting subject. Please pardon my questioning tone; but you can love, can't you! Complete happiness is based upon some such foundation as that, and surely somewhere it is found to be absolutely necessary. I fear you will be thinking yet that I cannot interpret a letter like it is meant to be.

I got a letter from Clara yesterday. She said you and Clark were out riding in the Ford, and visited at our place Thursday. Say, now do you like the new "car"? Did Clark let you drive it? During your visit I suppose you have learned of all the new marriages, romantic careers and engagements of many of the young people around there. It must be an "affliction of the heart", common to a lot of young people. It interests me anyway. Ha!

I hope you are not too sleepy to read this; but you might be, after such a long journey. In three more weeks I am going to beat it out of here. Meanwhile it's going to be just the same old routine as usual. Work, play and eat with the (un)usual amount of sleep. Wishing you a pleasant trip back to I.U. I remain,

Yours truly,
Ricahrd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home