Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

November 16, 1919, From Lloyd and Mamma

Geneva Ind.
November 16, 1919.

Dear Esther,

I am going to write to you with my right hand. I don't know weather you can read it or not but I will try to make it plain enough for you to read it.

Last night Mr. Whitsel wint to town with a load of beets. After he got them unloaded he went and got 98ยข worth of coal, then he tied his horses to a telephone pole and went to get some bread and groceries. But when he came back the horses were not there then he walked down to [Reichelderfer'?] as fast as he could and seeing they were not there he went back to Harlow's and phoned up to us and told us that our team (Duck and Daizy) were not their. Then Clark got the Ford out and Papa got the lantern and got in the Ford too. Then they started for town, expecting the horses to be on their way home. But they could not find them (between here & town.) so they got Joe and started for home.

see other side.

When they got here Clark telephoned up to Joe Roth's they sayd they had seen no stray team. Pretty soon Harlow's telephoned out to us and said that there were a number of teams behind the school house. Then we got the Jeffery out and Clark and papa and Joe went to town and sure enough our team was there with the coal there and every thing else.

Your brother,
Lloyd.

Lawrence's were over in P.M. Mrs. L. had a headache so I do not think she had a very good time. She said Bernice was going to write to you, tho' I don't think they got your add. Clark said to tell you to look over that catalog & if there is any thing suitable for Luella in it return it & let him know. I will only mark the pages that strike me favorably, tho I think every little thing is so high. Tho' I'd like to have the Library-table scarf, I do not think you have time to make it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home