Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

November 14, 1919, From Richard

Purdue University
November 14, 1919
Friday 7:00 P.M.

Dear Esther,

I hope you are surprised, agreeably, by my impulsiveness. If life goes by jumps and bounds, and surprises, does it not please as often as it causes heartaches. I found a nice little Walt Mason "Cheerupodist".

"We are weary little pilgrims, straying in a world of gloom; just behind us is the cradle, just before us is the tomb; there is nothing much to guide us, or the proper path to march, as we toddle on our journey, little pilgrims in the dark. And we jostle, and we struggle, in our feeble, futile wrath always striving, always reaching to push others from the path; and the wrangling and the jangling of our peevish voices rise, the seraphim that watches us thru the starholes in the sky; and they say: ‘The foolish pilgrims! Watch them as they push and shove! They might have a pleasant ramble, if their hearts were full of love, if they'd help and cheer each other from the hour that they embark--but they're only blind and erring little pilgrims in the dark!"

Just one of the unique and refreshing little "poems".

Tonight, the next to the first dance of the year, the Cadet Hop, is to be pulled off. It is a swell affair;--but I, a backwoodsman, must not hope to mix in such stuff for a while. Ha, ha! Do you see any satisfaction in being just an average person? I read an article the other day emphasizing the "observances of decorum;" and the "ability to have a good time without spending money", by the use of imagination, etc.

Tell Katheryn I observed her card very intensely and have resolved to stand faithfully by her with all the love I can offer her. In case of necessity she can just wire me and I will be on duty. Please Esther, don't allow me to embarrass you with too much "work" however. I only ask this as a favor, due to the present trend of circumstances.

Wishing you a good time this week-end I am,

Sincerely,
Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home