Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

December 15, 1919, from Lloyd and Mamma

Geneva Ind.,
Dec. 15, 1919.

Dear sister,

I am at school now and will soon recite so I will write as much as I can while I can.

I just received a letter from Robert last Saturday and wrote to him Sunday.

He said, When it (the Poodle dog) wanted a drink he would stand up on his hind legs and pat his front paws together. Did you ever see him do that? Well it is time to recite now ... Time is passing ... Now I am back again.

We had a game at school last Friday. You had to write your name on a slip of paper and fold it so that no one could see it without unfolding it. Then you dropped your slips all in one box and teacher wold mix them up. Then each person drew one out. The game rather the plot is to whoever you get when you draw, give him or her a useful article that costs 25ยข. When I drew I got Henry Ehersam (Minnie Ehersam's brother). I got him a good Printing outfit.

When we was playing shinny Solomon Eicher was first swinging his shinny club back to hit the ball and instead of hitting the ball he hit Edward Ehersam (Minnie Ehersam's brother) and knocked the skin flesh off right on his forehead till you could see the bone. You could track him everywhere he went by big dropes of blood about 3/4 inches in diameter. It knocked him unconscious for a while. Then Tressie and our teacher took him to the doctor and he said if it would have hit him just a little bit closer to the eye it would have killed him instantly.

Your brother
Lloyd Munro



Lloyd has written some to you at school and copied it at home. But I must have my "say".

Went to town last eve I now have all material for making three bags. But if you decide to give them to L. & K. you can help make them for I know it does not take long. Spoons have not come yet. Hope you will get here before all Carter's best stuff is gone. Am so sorry you are not here now.

Mrs. Lindsey is going to make Ruth's dress this week if I can get trimming for it. I may have to go to Berne for that. So you see where part of my time goes to any how.

I will have to prepare good & hard for shredders tomorrow. They are at Lehman's now & will be here next expect them Wed. Thur. & Fri. or Thur. Fri & Sat.

Well, I hope you a safe journey home.

from,
Mamma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home