Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

December 16, 1919, from Alva Glendening

Geneva, Ind.,
Dec. 16--1919

Dear Friend:

This may surprise you but I hope it don't shock you too much. I received a letter from Katheryn yesterday and I happened to think that I have written to every Willing Worker absent but you, our teacher. Don't you think that is awful? I hope you will forgive me, and I think you will.

I don't know very much news just now except about the measles and I am over them now and I think about everybody else is, and beside you were home not very long ago and heard about all the news and will soon be home again to hear the rest of it better than I can write it. But I do know one thing, that they didn't shred today at Lehman's as it was too cold for them. But it looks as if it is going to warm up today as the sun is coming out nice. We have had some zero weather the last few days.

I was at S.S. last Sun., first I've been there for several Sundays. Our population was five, Maisie, Fred, Harry, Emile and I were the faithful ones, your big brother was absent, and we won the collection penant by a number of pennies. I am afraid we will have to adopt some children if we win many attendance banners after New Year's.

I heard you disagreed with me about Kath--getting married. I am sorry to hear such a thing. But listen! The reason I wrote as I did was because I heard she was getting advice not to come home Xmas for fear she might get married. Now, I want her to come home, not that I am eager to see her, but she can't have a merry Xmas down there and I don't want her to know that matrimony is so dangerous, and then again she might pull thru with it all right. Of course it would hurt you or I to get married for you don't know enough about home economics and I'm too young.

Well, I must close. I won't ask you any questions now but will wait till you come home. Hope to see you once more before Santa comes anyway. Faithfully yours,

Alva Glendening

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home