Letters to Esther

Letters to Esther is a collection of letters written to Esther Munro of Geneva, Indiana. The letters span from 1900 to the 1960s, with the bulk of them coming from the 1920s.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

December 19, 1919, from Richard

148 Sheety Street
La Fayette, Ind.
Dec. 19, 1919

Dear Esther,

You have proven that you are obstinate and contrary. Well, all right this was a case where I do not object so strongly; but I've got you now where you will have to wait awhile despite the fact. If I appear to have a careless attitude in regard to certain things, what can anyone tell atall about it?

Say, you are lucky to get to go home so soon and have company all the way! There is no one around [...] to raise an excitement by strewing everything around and packing up to go home. "Webb" went to Chicago this evening and if Roomie and I can get ready in time and have enough money left we may go home ourselves tomorrow (Sat.). I've got a class till noon (12:00) tomorrow and it may be impossible for me to get ready, eat, and go over to the station in time to take the 12:15, my homeward bound train! Roomie wants me to go out on a date tonight; but our girls do not like to go to the family vaudeville, and we do. So? It will be treating our pile of ready cash rather kindly if we stay shy of "such".

How do you like Indianapolis about this time? I hope you have had a nice trip home, and a nice visit already. Hoping to see you at home. I "extend my hand" for a happy farewell.

Yours,
Richard

1 Comments:

Blogger meggiecat said...

Shelly,
Thanks for sharing this wonderful collection. I only wish that I could see pictures of the letters and the handwriting. Great idea and good job!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home